Tonight was my first Pollinator Week meeting at Just Food. Planning is in full swing! The goal is to cook up a great week of events celebrating bees and honey (June 22- June 28) and, ultimately, to legalize beekeeping in NYC. The informational email about tonight said edibles were welcome; I figured honey was a good inspiration. Eat these like you would a cookie, a granola bar or crumble them over vanilla ice cream. Get busy!
adapted from butter sugar flour eggs
8 T (1 stick) butter
1 1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup shredded coconut (I prefer unsweetened)
1/2 walnuts, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup honey
24 walnut halves
- Preheat oven to 350 and place oven rack in the middle position. Butter mini muffin tins.
- In a small sauce pan melt butter over low heat
- In a large bowl, combine oats, coconut, walnuts and flour. Mix well.
- Stir honey into melted butter and bring mixture to a boil, stirring often. Pour over dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Using a buttered tablespoon, spoon 1 tablespoon of mixture into tins. Using buttered fingertips, press mixture so that it's level.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until beginning to brown.
- Cool in tins for 10 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.