1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1 T cinnamon
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup vanilla yogurt, stirred well (buttermilk is great too)
2 large apples, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 and either grease or line a 12 cup muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter until it has lightened in color and become slightly fluffy. Add the sugar, mix until combined, then add the egg. Slowly add the yogurt; mix well.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet and, while there are thick streaks of flour, add the apple. Mixture will be very thick.
- Using an ice cream scoop, divide the batter into the muffin cups.
- Bake for 10 minutes, turn the temperature down to 400 and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Cool in tin for five minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.