4 small bell peppers
1 T oil
3 jalapenos, chopped
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup rice, cooked and cooled
3 T parsley
1/2 T Hungarian paprika
3/4 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1/8 t. allspice
1 1/4 cup tomato sauce, divided
1/2 lb. ground beef
- Cut the tops off the peppers, scoop out the seeds and stems, and dice the tops.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil and cook the chopped pepper, onion and garlic, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and add the rice, parsley, paprika, salt, pepper and allspice. Stir well and allow to cool, about 10 minutes.
- When rice mixture has cooled, add 1/4 cup tomato sauce, then the beef and egg. Stir to combine.
- Fill the peppers with stuffing and set upright in a small sauce pan. Add the tomato sauce and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower flame to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Spoon a liberal amount of sauce over the peppers and continue to simmer until the peppers are tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Peppers can be prepared 1 day in advance. Chill cooked peppers in sauce and reheat slowly when ready to eat.