adapted from Nigella Lawson
1 cup sugar
2 cups almond meal (either purchased as flour or finely ground in processor)
1 t. salt
1 heaping t. baking powder
- In a medium sauce pan, submerge clementines in cold water and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 2 hours. Drain and allow clementines to cool to room temperature.
- Cut clementines in half and remove any pits. Coarsely puree in food processor.
- Preheat oven to 375 and butter a spring form pan and line the bottom with parchment.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and add pureed clementine pulp; mix thoroughly. Add sugar, almonds, baking powder and salt; stir until combined. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 40 minutes. Rotate pan, cover with foil and continue to bake for another 2o minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan on a rack.
Place a bowl over the clementines to submerge them, if necessary.