Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I heart bread














My mind flashes to Pac Man and then to the summer of Katie-love when when I look at this pic;)


















Jonesing for pepperoni bread, I went in search of a recipe. I found Craig Claiborne's sandwich-style pepperoni loaf and went with it, but I decided to use the (almost) half cup of olives I had in the fridge instead. It's amazing where you end up on the other side of a recipe search! Now I have a great olive bread recipe in my repertoire and pepperoni (or caper, sun dried tomato, cranberry, nut...) bread to look forward to. Sigh.







































Olive Bread

makes 1 loaf

3 1/2 cup flour
2 t sugar
1 1/4 t salt
1 package yeast
2 T butter
1 1/4 c hot water (120-130 degrees)
1/2 kalamata olives, finely diced
butter or oil for greasing pan

  • Preheat oven to 375. Lightly grease a six cup loaf pan.
  • Put four, sugar, salt, yeast and butter into food processor. Start blending and gradually add water. Blend until dough leaves the sides of container and blend for 15 minutes longer.
  • Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and make a well in center. Add olives and knead until blended. Shape into a ball and place in a lightly floured bowl. Cover with a clean cloth and keep in a warm place until dough has doubled in size, 30-40 minutes.
  • Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead bread for a few seconds. Shape into an oval and place seam down in prepared pan. Cover and let stand again for 30-40 minutes.
  • Using a sharp knife or a razor, cut a thin gash lengthwise in the center of the bread.
  • Bake, turning once halfway through cooking time, until golden and hollow when you gently knock on it, 35-45 minutes.
  • Enjoy!











No comments:

Post a Comment