Quick and easy. Cheap as chips. Yummy:)
Orecchiette with lentils and kale
serves 2 with leftovers
1/2 cup lentils
2 cups water
3/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 pound kale
3/4 pound orecchiette
- In a small saucepan, simmer lentils in 2 cups water with 1/4 teaspoon salt, uncovered, adding more water to keep lentils barely covered, until tender but not falling apart, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and season with salt.
- While lentils simmer, caramelize the onions following the directions in purple here...
- Meanwhile, cut and discard stems and from kale. Cook in a large pot of boiling salted water, uncovered, until just tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer kale to a colander to drain, pressing lightly.
- Add orecchiette to boiling water and cook according to package.
- Squeeze all excess liquid from kale, coarsely chop and add to caramelized onions along with lentils in there liquid. Simmer, stirring, 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- When pasta is al dente, reserve about 1 cup pasta-cooking liquid, and drain. Add pasta to lentil mixture along with enough cooking liquid to keep the pasta moist and cook over medium-high heat, tossing, 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Top with grated Parmesan cheese if you like.