Mango Browned Butter Quick Bread
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/4 cup canola oil
1 ripe banana
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1 1/2 t. ground ginger
1 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. salt
1 mango, peeled, pitted and diced
zest of 1 lime
3/4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a loaf pan.
- In a small saute pan over medium-high heat, cook butter until it has browned and smells nutty. Remove from heat.
- Whisk together the eggs and oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and soda, spices and salt.
- Slowly add the slightly cooled butter to the egg and oil mixture; pour over the dry ingredients and mix until blended. Dough will be thick.
- Add mango, zest and nuts and stir to combine. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake, on a sheet pan in case there is spillage, for about 1 1/2 hours, until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. If you remember, rotate pan half way through baking time.
- Cool for 5 minutes in pan and then transfer loaf to a cooling rack. Once cool, store in the refrigerator.